[Talk-in] National Highway relations are unacceptably huuuuge!

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:25:50 UTC 2016

Support this, right now NH members are part of two relations each, the
state and national level one. Given that many highways are being upgraded
and byapss sections are being added, this is twice as hard to maintain.

What is the process to change them like the European model?

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Amaroussi (OpenStreetMap) <mapper at minoa.li>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently proof-reading the National and State Highway relations in
> Hyderabad and Telangana.
>
> However, while I note that there are state-level National Highway
> relations (such as https://openstreetmap.org/relation/5803164 for the
> NH44 in Telangana), the core National Highway relations (such as
> https://openstreetmap.org/relation/3189954 for NH44) are ridiculously
> huge with more than 3,000 members, which causes internet browser to slow
> down. It is also six times longer than Greece’s main national road, the EO1.
>
> Right now, the main OpenStreetMap site is refusing to load the main NH44
> relation because they are so huge (hence the error message “Sorry, the data
> for the relation with the id 3189954, took too long to retrieve.”), and
> editing them is also slowing down JOSM significantly. I am proposing that
> the core National Highway relations should adopt a system similar to the
> E-Road network (for example,
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2092611), where it references the
> state-level relations instead of every way. Another benefit of such a
> system is that international users can exclude the disputed sections where
> it is legal to show India in its widely-recognised outline.
>
> — Amaroussi.

Arun Ganesh
@planemad
<http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>