[Talk-in] Use MapRoulette to improve OSM - India data

Srihari Thalla thallasrihari at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 08:17:03 UTC 2017

Hi!

Since JOSM featured MapRoulette since a couple of days, there has been a
spike in MapRoulette usage:

   1. All Challenges metrics - http://maproulette.org/ui/metrics
   2. Self-intersecting multipolygon relations (India) -
   http://maproulette.org/ui/metrics/2380

I think we can use this time to add more Indian specific challenges and
thereby improve OSM-India data!

I'm thinking of these challenges:

   1. Reverse ways with oneway = -1 (except in rare cases where direction
   of the way cannot be changed or for other reason) -
   http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/nvV
   2. Trace ___ in small towns and villages
      1. Roads
      2. Buildings
   3. Wikipedia and Wikidata tags for:
   1. Cities and towns - http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/nvT
      2. Railway Stations - http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/nvU
   4. Tag railway station `ref` codes
      1. http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/nvR
      2. Source - http://www.indianrail.gov.in/stn_Code.html
      5. Clean horse=yes tags on highways (except where horses are
   specifically required like at hill stations) -
   http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/nvW
   Question: Who set this tag for highways in the first place? Looks like
   the tags are copied from Europe?
   6. Clean redundant motor_vehicle=yes tags on major highways (not
   restricted expressways) (not where this tag is explicitly required) -
   http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/nvX

Thoughts? Ideas? Improvements?

Cheers,
Srihari