[Talk-in] Need guidance in launching a HOT project in Bangalore for mapping the lakes

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:28:53 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 5:10 AM Nagesh Aras <nagesh.sa.blr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Several activist groups in Bangalore have come together with the aim of
> mapping the water system in the city, which includes the lakes, and
> drainage system. The aim is to digitize thold maps to know what was the
> original shape and size of the lakes, and then do the local surveys to find
> out how much of the lake territory is encroached.
>
> We would like to set up the online HOT map for this purpose.
>
> Can anyone guide us about the steps required for this project?
>
> Also, if there are any permissions to be taken, who should I contact?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Nagesh

This is great! Looks like there are two parts:
- Digitize old maps: this one is tricky because old maps have various
quality issues. Vectorizing them might be resource intensive and not too
useful. Can you share an example of these old maps?
- Survey existing lakes. This is where OSM can be helpful. To scope this
out better maybe we should start with one particular lake to test out what
is the best strategy of satellite image tracing and field survey that will
work for the accuracy needed.

The OSM India telegram group is fairly active and can be helpful to
coordinate this in further detail: https://t.me/OSMIndia