[Talk-it] Populated places: how to use is_in tag?

Niccolo Rigacci osm at rigacci.org
Mon Oct 8 09:34:02 BST 2007

Hello,

I'm about adding about 8000 points of Italian populated places.

The main purpose is to render place names into the map, so a
minimal tag schema is:

  <node id='-6' action='modify' visible='true' lat='45.438898' lon='12.330918'>
    <tag k='name' v='Venezia' />
    <tag k='place' v='city' />
    <tag k='population' v='271073' />
    <tag k='source' v='geodati.gfoss.it' />
    <tag k='gfoss_id' v='3515' />
  </node>

this includes "population" and "place" to aid rendering at
different zoom levels, etc.

The "gfoss_id" is the ID from the geodati.gfoss.it database, the
source of the data.

On the Italian mailing list it was suggested to add more tags, to
accomodate the administrative hierarchy:

 Regione -> Provincia -> Comune

It seems that there is not common agreement on how to accomplish
this. The only pertinent tag seems to be "is_in", but it is so
loosely defined in the wiki.

I think that we must address rendering and searching, without
overloading the database with unnecessary information that need
maintenance (and that can be obtained from other sources).

Any suggestion?

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy