[Talk-it] Talk-it Digest, Vol 18, Issue 1

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri May 2 16:21:51 BST 2008

si, pero si puo creare solo per Osmarender.
Ho scritto questo 16. Aprile a Steve Chilton (di Mapnik), ma non mi ha
piu risposto, ne sono cambiate le cose. Mi piacerebbe se qualcun altro
potrebbe richiedere (ricordare), perché sono delle cose importanti.
Non penso che ci vogliono male, solo che non hanno cose storici da
loro e quindi non si accorgianno, che mancanno ;-)

SECONDO MAIL (16.04.2008):

Hi Steve,

thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if there has to be a big change
for squares, as they should render the same as landuse, but with the same colour
as the streettype they are. Outlines from squares represent the outer
border of the square unlike the streets, that are mapped with the
center of the street beeing represented with a line. What I try to
point out is, that there should NOT be drawn a street and the the
center filled, but instead it should be drawn a polygon in the colour
of the street (and this should be with a priority, that it is drawn
under possible streets (because sqares are often pedestrian but
crossed by streets, that otherwise would not be visible).

I agree, that POI that can be turned on individually would be a great
feature in the future, but I'm little bit sad, that you won't put many
of the features (which indeed are all features that passed voting and
therefore can be considered as approved by the community), that are in
the current mapfeature list. I again agree, that on smaller zoomlevels
only the most important features should be present, but on higher
levels (before all the 2 highest levels) there should in my opinion be
as many features as possible, as the map otherwise will be somehow
empty. These very high zoomlevels, intended to give a detailed view of
the area, are enriched by these features.

The following of the proposed features are definitely also hitting the
navigate-to-it-criteria, you mentioned:

very important for Rome:
historic:
-monument
-ruins
-archaeological_site

man_made:
-lighthouse
-tower

amenity:
-theatre
-cinema
-university
-arts-centre
- fountain
- restaurant (if pubs are in, they should as well, maybe you can also
use the cuisine-tag if available for additional naming, like: xyz,
Pizza; or Hang Zhou, Chinese)

railway:
-subway_entrance

Please don't forget that mapnik is kind of THE original OSM-Map, as it
is standard on the OSM Page and many people, that have a first look on
OSM look on this map. From the German Mailing List as well as the
Italian one, I know that the rendered maps, Mapnik-OSM on the first
place, are for many people the main reason to contribute and put /
correct data. Putting a lot of features on the high zoom-levels can
motivate people, and is also good publicity, as you can see, how many
entries there are already in the database.

That's why I still think, that the following features should be
rendered as well (some of them as telephones and drinking water maybe
just in the highest zoomlevel, as otherwise there would really be some
cluttering):

-pharmacy
-drinking_water (there is a icon here, which is according to this page
PD: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:Proposed_features/Potable_Water:
http://www.blm.gov/nstc/mapstandards/downloads/inter.pdf number 37)
-telephone
-fuel

shop:
-bicycle
-book (is still a proposed feature, unlike all the others mentioned above)

the mentioned issue with shops, that they tend to change a lot, is
partly true, partly also not. There are many traditional, historic
shops, some of them existing for hundreds of years (this applies even
to some book shops). On the other hand: if they were rendered, people
could delete / modify them, when necessary, otherwise this data will
remain in the database, mostly unused and invisible, and therefore
much more likely will become outdated and false. I believe in the
wiki-quality of our map, that leads faster to corrections and updates
as any commercial solution.

I would be glad to hear from you again,

cheers,

Martin

RISPOSTA DI STEVE 13.04.2008

2008/4/13, Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk>:
- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
> Martin
>
>  Sorry for late response, I have been away on a mapping party this weekend.
>  I do indeed "care for" the mapnik rendering on the slippy map, though I am not the only one, but perhaps the most frequent.
>  I agree with you on the squares issue. I have tried to sort it, but it is a bit complicated.
>  Mapnik sees things as either lines or polygons. I think square is unique in that it is the only highway= tag that can be a polygon.
>  Someone needs to make changes to the osm2pgsql script to get the data from db to pgsql for use by the style sheet.
>  It is on someone's "todo" list and will hopefully be sorted soon. Then I will sort the rendering, once I cab pick up the polygons.
>  You are not correct in saying the things listed were once in the maps.
>  They may have been (or still are in fact) in the osmarender layer but have never been in the mapnik layer.
>  I personally have a bit a thing about putting loads of points of interest symbols on the map map, and have held back from rendering many of these because of that. I am hoping that a points of interest (switchable - ie on/off) will be done sometime.
>  I tend to use a rule of thumb - would you navigate by it. So yes to pub and church, no to types of shops (which also change frequently).
>  I will have a look at the bike-paths issue. Could you email me a URL of where this issue arises please?
>  I can't really comment on realtions as I only just getting to grips with their intricacies myself.
>
>  Cheers
>  STEVE

PRIMA MAIL: