[Talk-it] National boundary vs. territorial waters (was: Re: How *NOT* to map)

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:13:00 BST 2009

Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:

> I zoomed out and noticed that the national border along the Mediterranean
> coast of Sicily and the rest of Italy and also France look really bad.

I suppose because we imported the national borders from Italian ISTAT (a
national statistics institute) -- see: "source: Based on ISTAT data - 2001
Italian Census"

Maybe we should follow coastlines instead?

> Is there a reason why the border isn't off the coast like it is most
> places, e.g. Spain?

Isn't that defined as "territorial waters", different from national border?
It would be better to have both drawn -- but the territorial waters marked
as boundary=maritime, or the such?

David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino