[Talk-it] [OSM-talk] How *NOT* to map

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:17:35 BST 2009

2009/9/29 Morten Kjeldgaard <mok at bioxray.au.dk>:
> I don't but it should be relatively easy to compute using the following
> algorith:
>
> - At each node on the coastline, produce a circle of 12 nmi.

OK, we'll use the baseline instead of the coastline, but besides this
(and because the baseline differs just in some explicitly legally
defined points from the coastline):
we would end up with lots of arc-segments = whole lot of nodes in the
OSM-World, who doesn't know curves and arcs. But those would not be
more precise than straight lines for the simple fact that it is
completely random, where exactly someone set the nodes for a
coastline. I'd prefer to simply offset and probably simplify it
instead of creating all those circles.

cheers,
Martin