[Talk-it] Fwd: [Imports] Introducing OSMLY

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist a gmail.com
Ven 20 Set 2013 08:39:48 UTC

Segnalo questo nuovo tool per organizzare/eseguire gli imports:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aaron Lidman <aaronlidman at gmail.com>
Date: 2013/9/20
Subject: [Imports] Introducing OSMLY
To: talk-us at openstreetmap.org, imports at openstreetmap.org

 The following post is best viewed at http://osmly.com full text is posted
below for posterity.

OSMLY is a simple browser based importer for OpenStreetMap. It makes
importing easy by presenting each feature one at a time, allowing users to
manually review the item, make any needed adjustments to positions or tags,
and upload directly to OSM. It also allows for reporting problems that
other users can look over and a quality assurance mode where administrative
users can confirm everything that has been uploaded. The aim is to make
simple imports easier, more cooperative, and less error prone.

http://osmly.com/screenshots/example.jpg

Try the demo: http://osmly.com/la-parks.html

OSMLY was born out of a frustration with the way imports are organized. I
was preparing some imports for Los Angeles County, reading up on past
imports and organized things according to how I see they are being done
today (wiki, spreadsheets, many .osm files, JOSM). I wasn't into it. The
organization and tools involved seems too complicated and clunky for
getting more than a small number of people involved.

Even with very simple data we would have to deal with many .osm files each
containing many features themselves, a central spreadsheet for tracking who
is doing what and the status of each group of items, and everyone would
have to use JOSM. Then editing involves managing multiple layers in JOSM,
downloading the area around each feature, looking around and resolving any
conflicts, uploading in a small batch, and making sure to tag changesets
correctly. Ideally, someone would then go back, search for the changesets
and confirm everything was done correctly.

http://osmly.com/screenshots/overview.jpg

That's too complicated for my liking and the pool of users who know how to
do all this without making mistakes is too small. On the other hand, most
of that complexity is necessary for organizing the people involved and
maintaining some quality to the data going into OSM. I want a simpler and
more automated way of handling the most manual and repetitive parts for
really basic imports. I just want a simple way for someone with OSM
experience and knowledge but not necessarily a GIS data or programming
background to help out with basic tasks and share their knowledge to get
more data on the map.

http://osmly.com/screenshots/QA.jpg

I built OSMLY to reduce the complexity of doing simple imports with many
people and many features. It's just the essentials: editing geometry,
fixing tags, displaying relevant nearby features from OSM, flagging
problems and uploading to OSM. Features are served from a simple database
to keep track of everything/everyone and different actions are allowed
based on an feature's status. Once an item is submitted it's available for
Quality Assurance where other users can confirm everything was done
correctly and flagged results can get attention from more experienced users
in JOSM.

http://osmly.com/screenshots/geojson.png

Technically, OSMLY takes in GeoJSON data and makes sure geometry is valid,
simplifies, flags obviously difficult items, adds bounds for each item, and
converts everything to a sqlite database ready to be served up to the
world. A simple server takes care of routing requests from the browser to
database queries and returning results. Once the user has received a new
feature the surrounding area is download from an OSM server and those
results are filtered for relevant geometry. Then it's all displayed on the
map. From there it gets a bit more complex depending on the user's actions.

http://osmly.com/screenshots/basic.jpg

Some key features:

    * Context - nearby relevant features that may conflict are shown
alongside the item being edited along with complete tags. Context filtering
can be set using regular OSM tags. http://osmly.com/screenshots/context.png

    * Quality Assurance - administrative users, specified in the settings,
can review everything that has been submitted and confirm each item has
been done correctly

    * Edit in JSOM - every item can be remotely opened and completed in
JOSM if you prefer. http://osmly.com/screenshots/inJOSM.png

    * Tag Manipulation - depending on your data source, you might not have
to do any tag manipulation before OSMLY. Tag keys can be renamed, added,
and removed.

    * User Whitelist - specify exactly which users are allowed on an import
or allow everyone (default)

Limitations:

Currently OSMLY only works with polygons. Eventually, time allowing, I'd
like to expand to other GeoJSON feature types (points and linestrings).
OSMLY is only ment for simple imports so there aren't plans for
implementing multipolygons or anything else too complex. Some of this is
technical but mostly it comes down to ease of use. Right now if a complex
item is found OSMLY pushes the user to edit in JOSM.

OSMLY has been working great on the OSM development server for the past
month. You can see my test edits here:
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/user/namdil-testing/edits

Source code @ https://github.com/aaronlidman/osmly

Technical bugs @ https://github.com/aaronlidman/osmly/issues

I'd love to hear your thoughts/concerns/questions. Just to make it clear,
this isn't live but currently works on the OSM dev server and I'd like to
flush out a discussion here with the eventual goal of doing real imports. I
have a couple imports with ready proposals I'd like to complete with OSMLY
but only after I work through concerns you may have here. Thanks for your
time.