[Talk-it] Your experience with Wikimedia Italia being a local OSMF chapter

Marco Minghini marco.minghini86 a gmail.com
Gio 13 Dic 2018 20:58:55 UTC

Hi Michał,
just some additional information.

WMI organized the 2017 State of The Map conference in Milan.

Clearly it was 2018 :)
At the time of the conference I was working at Politecnico di Milano (that
co-organized and hosted the conference) and I can say that this was a
successful joint result, achieved after an already stable collaboration we
had with Wikimedia Italia. Among others, we organized mapping events and
also wrote research projects together - and Wikimedia Italia is doing this
kind of OSM-related work also with other research institutions in Italy.

In addition, since 2017 Wikimedia Italia has partnered with GFOSS.it and
ArcheoFOSS in the organization of FOSS4G-IT, the annual conference that
merges together the previous "geospatial" conferences of the 3
associations, including OSMit. After two editions (Genova
<http://www.dicca.unige.it/geomatica/foss4git_2017/> and Rome
<http://foss4g-it2018.gfoss.it/>) we can say that this model works, since
it brings together communities with (partially) different roots but with a
lot to share. Next edition <http://foss4g-it2019.gfoss.it/> will be in
Padova in February and the high number of submissions received is again a
clear measure of the interest.

In additions, I joined the last itWikiCon conference
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ItWikiCon/2018/Programma> and there was an
explicit request by Wikimedia to the OSM community to represent OSM at the
event by submitting talk and proposals :)

> While at the beginning we discussed about level of independence between
> the two "area of interest", by the end of the day both Wiki* and OSM are
> well interconnected and it's quite common to mix the topics when presenting
> the projects to the wide audience.

Definitely!

> IMHO, having been one of the original proposer of WMI as OSM Chapter, the
> coexistence is natural and as far as there isn't attrition between the
> groups, will be a successfull integration in Poland as well.
>
> Regarding the other questions you are asking, I'm hopeful that someone
from Wikimedia Italia can directly reply :)

Marco