[Talk-it] Your experience with Wikimedia Italia being a local OSMF chapter

Edoardo Yossef Marascalchi e.marascalchi a gmail.com
Mer 12 Dic 2018 13:38:43 UTC

Hi Michal,
my 2 cents:

Wikimedia became an OSM Chapter on mappers members request.
To become chapter mapper members were requested to raise their hand and
identify themself as OSM contributors.
As far as I can remember more than 30 members were OSM contributor as well
and more OSM contributors became members afterwards.

WMI is well involved in promoting OSM both at schools/universities, funds
hackatons, conferences and mapping parties.

In the last 2 years coordinators position were opened at national and
regional levels about different area of interests (GLAM, Universities, Wiki
Love Monuments and OSM). Not all region got covered but where the
coordinator has been present many activities has taken place.

WMI organized the 2017 State of The Map conference in Milan.

While at the beginning we discussed about level of independence between the
two "area of interest", by the end of the day both Wiki* and OSM are well
interconnected and it's quite common to mix the topics when presenting the
projects to the wide audience.

IMHO, having been one of the original proposer of WMI as OSM Chapter, the
coexistence is natural and as far as there isn't attrition between the
groups, will be a successfull integration in Poland as well.

Just as background, we (me and fellow OSM mappers from the very beginning)
had a lot of discussion about asking WMI or GFOSS.it to become Chapter.
GFOSS was the more logical choice as made of GIS professionals, but WMI
looke more "active" and "alive" and more aligned to the Open Knowledge side
while GFOSS was more leaning on the Free and open source software topic.

Edo