[OSM-ja] Article in NYT about Mapion and OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik @ remote.org
2012年 9月 25日 (火) 10:33:11 BST

Dear friends in Japan,

    I came across this article in the online New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/technology/apple-maps-errors-send-japanese-to-homegrown-app.html

In which an iPhone application named "Mapion" is discussed.

It contains the following quote:

"The biggest problem with Apple’s map, Mapion’s Mr. Yamagishi said, is
that much of its data appears to be drawn from OpenStreetMap Japan, a
Wikipedia-like service that contains a lot of incorrect and outdated
information."

I wonder how the New York Times could fall for that misinformation -
Apple isn't using OSM, and if it *were* using OSM then we certainly
don't have "a lot of incorrect and outdated information". I think it is
possible that "Mapion" have perhaps not been entirely truthful in their
press contacts.

All the best
Frederik