[OSM-ja] Yahoo data cleanup

Douglas Perkins douglas @ dperkins.org
2015年 10月 14日 (水) 11:30:12 UTC

>   * Has the import data helped Japan map to improve and the community
>     to grow? How is the OSM coverage compared to other maps?

I remember before we got the Yahoo/ALPS data.  For most of the country,
there were very few roads mapped.  You couldn't navigate using OSM back
then, except maybe in a few cities.  Once the import happened, you could
navigate well, and you still can.

>   * How to best cleanup the import: continue to leave the data as is?
>     do a partial revert to make it easy for new mappers? Organize a
>     nationwide mapping movement?

To me as a mapper, importer, hiker, and motorcycle rider, the most
notable thing about the imported data is that in some areas it's
inaccurate by 10-50 meters in some direction.  The roads described
mostly exist, though.  What I do to improve things is make tracks when I
travel, so I can fix the road, or if I have a track to properly align
some overhead photography I can use that to adjust other roads in that area.

I can't see how a revert has any real value.  It would destroy much of
the great work the community here has done in the last five years.  And
it wouldn't help new mappers.  Indeed, if you take a usable map, remove
lots of data, and then say "go fill in the blanks", people will see all
the blanks and go look for a different map.  (But since that seems
really obvious, perhaps I have misunderstood the intent behind some of
the previous posts?  Feel free to correct me should that be the case.)

Removing data like erroneous road width makes good sense.  Also coming
from the Yahoo/ALPS import, many rural roads are classified as
"residential" when they are more likely "track" or "unclassified" or
"tertiary".  That would be nice to fix.  I imagine surveys are the best
way, albeit time consuming.