[OSM-talk-nl] status of (governement) street data in NL

Remco van Zuijlen remcovz at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 23 15:21:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 03:59:41PM +0100, Zoran Kovacevic wrote:
> I called GVI (http://www.gvi.amsterdam.nl/) after Ante/. They map almost
> everything there is to map in Amsterdam very accurately and regularly.
> Parts of their data is bought (?) from electricity & water companies,
> which makes it hard to 'give away'. They told me that GBKN
> (http://www.gbkn.nl/) takes care of the whole of NL, except for
> Amsterdam and some other cities that prefer to do it by themselves.
>
> So I talked to GBKN. We had in interesting talk (did you know that
> different parts of Dutch government - until very recently - sent bills
> to each other for the use of their geo-data?). He told me that
> Rijkswaterstaat (a.k.a. RWS: department responsible for roads/bridges in
> NL) has a database called Nationale Wegenbestand (NWB). They are
> planning on opening this database (initially interdepartmental, but he
> also mentioned general public). There were some obvious objections to
> this plan by TeleAtlas and the likes, but since RWS is the sole owner of
> the data, it should be possible.
>
> Good news: the NWB database consists of each and every street in the
> Netherlands!
>
> I am now trying to circumvent the servicedesk of the subdepartment
> RWS-AGI (http://www.rws.nl/rws/agi/home/) in order to plea for dumping
> the NWB data in OSM :) I'll get a call back either today or Monday. I'll
> keep you posted on any progress.

hey! sounds good.. but, before dumping it into the live database of OSM,
don't you think it's wiser to dump it to an osm file first that we (and the
osm folks in the UK) can look at first, mess with, render it into nice maps,
etc before we are absolutely sure the data is what we actually want/is
complete/correct (if you catch my drift) ?

> Just suppose that this works out ... and what it will mean for OSM
> server load ;)

and one more thing, what are we supposed to do when we get bored? after all
roads are mapped and in OSM? No more mapping parties, gps logging and
fiddling in JOSM. ;) on the other hand, it's what we strive for after all.

Remco

--
Remco van Zuijlen <remco at xs4all.net>