[OSM-talk-nl] Internet explorer 8 mess..

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Thu Mar 6 18:15:59 UTC 2008

Hello list,

Just to inform everyone:

Today I downloaded IE8 Beta. First I was allready a bit suprised that it
had overwritten my IE6. I think that a beta should not do that. So be
advised, it is not possible to run IE8 Beta and IE6 or 7 side by side.
(I managed to keep IE7 outdoors for a long time and was one of the rare
people within my organization to test if things where IE6 proof, but alas)

It turned out that openlayers and Google Maps are far from correctly
implemented in IE8. Only when you select "Emulate IE 7" things turn back
to normal (I feel a discussion comming up whether IE is normal at all)

I have reported both problems to the IE8 development team and I suggest
everybody to do the same to get these issues on the top of their
priority list.

Let's all hope that IE8 will not be included in the auto-update from
microsoft, yarrr!

And be aware that when people contact you telling you the openstreetmap
website looks like crap, they just might have installed IE8.

Kind regards,

Milo van der Linden