[OSM-talk-nl] Netherland mapping for Tourists / Adress nodes move to building etc

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sun Oct 5 19:56:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 09:39:31PM +0200, Marc Gemis wrote:
> For maintenance, the way we do it now doesn't work IMHO. At least not with
> only a handful of (40-50) mappers in both Belgium and The Netherlands. We
> can't keep up with the changes.
>
> IMHO The amount of work to add new data is approx. the same as verifying
> and keeping it up to date.
> I wonder how many mappers we really need to keep a country such a The
> Netherlands up-to-date. Not only on addresses, but also on POIs (companies,
> shops, benches, traffic signs, schools, sidewalks, paths, access
> permissions, etc. etc.)

The more people start USING the map the more feedback you get where to look
for changes. So the amount of work is the same but more directed.

I was a heavy user of OpenStreetBugs and i am now using Notes for all those
notification. "Please look here - this looks strange - something changed - please
verify on ground".

But still its a big task - I am taking care of a City with 95k and a City with 45k
Residents in Germany. I still lack a lot of POIs and its still enough to do with
changes in the road network, speed limits, buildings etc.

> I also see  a "cultural" difference between The Netherlands (having done 2
> major imports already) and Belgium (more averse towards big imports). So
> it's also interesting to see how this has an impact on those things.

I'd love to have addresses in Germany - its the last big thing we are missing.

> p.s. Hopefully you can drop by some time and remove some of those phantom
> buildings the AND import introduced in the north of Belgium :-)

Flo