[Talk-nz] Making the LINZ NZ Building Outlines available in RapiD

Eliot Blennerhassett eliot at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Wed Feb 3 00:07:31 UTC 2021

Hi Timothée,

Interesting proposal, some comments and questions below...

On 2/02/21 12:45 pm, Timothée Duhamel wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm an Auckland based OSM contributor (username CoyKoi), and I've been looking at ways to improve building coverage. Initially I was doing a lot of my own additions through manual tracing, but I've slowed down on that as it feels like unnecessary work, knowing that there are high quality building outline datasets available. Many of you would have been involved in the previous imports of building outlines, which are in various stages of completion, and no longer active. For example, much of Auckland was never completed. I've been following the changes in data and technology available, and I believe there's an opportunity to begin a new building outline import.
>
> So I am getting in touch with the NZ-OSM mailing list seeking the community's support to have the LINZ building outline dataset made available on RapiD. I have already made a quick query on the Maptime Oceania slack channel, where I received support.

Please would you show me where I can read that discussion (without requiring signing up to slack), or copy it to this mailing list.

> Daniel Silk from LINZ has been instrumental in working with the RapiD team to have the dataset preprocessed, ready for inclusion.
>
> Please review the dataset, wiki page and FAQ below and let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing feedback, discussion and hopefully your support to proceed with the project.

> A wiki page for this project has been created,  with plenty of information at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/New_Zealand_Buildings

Overview question is whether the proposal is just "Make the building outlines available on Rapid" for mappers to use ad-hoc as they wish OR "Add buildings to Rapid and use Rapid to import all the buildings in a planned way"

The page says that there are about 3.2M buildings in the dataset. Elsewhere I saw that Rapid allows a maximum of 50 items per changeset.
This means the import amounts to at least 60K changesets,
Also the plan aspires to complete the mapping in 2021...

The link "A new version of Rapid" https://mapwith.ai/rapid-esri leads to a 403 Forbidden page.

I'm not clear how or why Esri is involved, or needs to be involved, given that the original data is available from LINZ data service?

The wiki page appears to be written by Deane Kensok who resides in Beaumont, California and works for Esri - what is the NZ connection?

The wiki claims "input from OSM NZ", yet your email is the first I have heard of the idea...

regards

--
Eliot