[Talk-nz] Continuing the Street Address Import

Kyle Hensel K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz
Tue Mar 9 23:30:59 UTC 2021

Hi Eliot, cc the rest of the mailing list

> I see the proposal excludes addresses "deprecated" (?deleted?) by LINZ

Sorry, typo. ‘Deprecated’ should be ‘deleted’. I think you’re right – it does make sense to also delete addresses from OSM if LINZ says they no longer exist, but I think this may be controversial. How does the community feel about this?

> I looked at this last year, with similar results

I don’t know how I missed that email while looking through the archives, sorry! I did see the emails from 2014-2018 on the imports mailing list though.
My thoughts on your question from that email thread:

> Two broad options for the data source:
>   1. Changeset from LINZ
>   2. Full data dump from LINZ, conflation with existing OSM How to process the changes, how to organise the updates (tasking manager?) etc. etc.

As it stands, I’ve used option 2 to process the data, but if we want to include deletions then we’ll also need LINZ’s changeset.

> Looking [through] the raw data reports, a couple of tweaks would make them more useful for manual review and cleanup

Those txt reports will definitely be improved - I was hoping to get feedback on how this data could be best reviewed/processed.
I think those are great ideas, some other thoughts I had were:

  *   Generate osmchange files that can be imported into JOSM or Level0 (but not iD sadly)
  *   Make some code changes to the RapiD editor to support updating or moving nodes, not just adding data.

> Perhaps with "wrong location" we'd still want a way to mark these as reviewed and OK from OSM perspective

Good point. The StreetComplete editor adds an OSM field called check_date= when mappers confirm that post boxes still exist, or road closures are still ongoing. Perhaps we could add the check_date field to addresses that have been reviewed but no change is required?