[Talk-nz] LINZ data import: South Island Pastoral Leases

Kyle Hensel K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz
Mon Sep 20 03:39:59 UTC 2021

Hi James,

Good idea about landuse=meadow. I’ve just compared the wiki page for landuse=meadow and landuse=farmland, it seems like an odd situation.
The wiki says that landuse=farmland is used for all agricultural areas in some regions, while in other regions landuse=farmland is only used for crops (not grazing areas).

So it sounds like landuse=meadow would be better here, since pastoral leases are only used for grazing, not planting crops.

However, it seems like landuse=farmland is the more common way of mapping farmland in NZ

  *   Farmland is used 18,228 times https://taginfo.geofabrik.de/australia-oceania/new-zealand/tags/landuse=farmland#map
  *   Meadow is used 1,720 items https://taginfo.geofabrik.de/australia-oceania/new-zealand/tags/landuse=meadow#map

I took a quick look on OSM at Te Anau, Napier, Auckland, Edgecumbe, and Christchurch where rural landuse is mapped, and it seems like landuse=farmland is used for any kind of farm, including pastures used purely for grazing.

So I’m not sure if we should use landuse=meadow (which describes the land-use better) or landuse=farmland (which is currently the more common tag)...

Kyle