[Talk-nz] Place names

Eliot Blennerhassett eliot at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Wed Nov 10 01:22:26 UTC 2021

On 10/11/21 14:01, Andy Townsend wrote:
> (apologies for posting out of the existing thread; I've just subscribed to the list)
>
> (quoting Timothée Duhamel)
>
>  > but, as stated by the DWG rep in
>  > that changeset, ultimately it is up to the local community (us? this
>  > mailing list?) to set guidelines on name tag usage.
>
> Yes, that's you and everyone in this community!
>
> Thanks for the comments so far, and thanks for Michael for raising it here.  I'd slightly take issue with "DWG is unwilling to step in do anything" - I've been suggesting a discussion somewhere like here for at least a month now, and a community decision is a far better option than us just choosing to enforce one option or another.
>
> For completeness, I've asked the participants in the tit-for-tat edits at http://osm.mapki.com/history/node.php?id=248764278 to improve the way that they map in a few ways (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/5436 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/5437 ).

For the record, user "aotearoa86" has an edit history that is very similar to "kiwiAs", e.g.

kiwiAs - "name" is for the common 'on the ground' (signposted) spelling; use "official_name" for "Matatā"
aotearoa86 - "name" is for the common 'on the ground' (signposted) spelling; use "official_name" for "Ōtaki Beach"

this appears to be either coordinated program of macron removal, or use of multiple accounts.

--
Eliot