[Talk-nz] Place names

Alan Jamieson alwynwellington at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 05:19:49 UTC 2021

Most place names are not recorded only on street signs.

In the data base there is room to record the address for buildings etc
used by government (central and local), sporting bodies, businesses, bus
stops and not-for-profit entities, to name a few.

Here should the place name on an arrival sign be used?  Or the name on a
destination board?

And which is to be preferred when names on arrival signs and/or
destination boards are inconsistent?

Where there are also other names or spellings, my suggestion is to
record a note to that effect in the data base using a suitable tag, for
example, description.

To cut to the chase, it seems to me the name in NZ Gazetteer is the name
to use.

I am pleased to note the consensus summary by Austin Green