[Talk-nz] Place names

Austin Green austin.green at orcon.net.nz
Thu Nov 11 04:28:47 UTC 2021

I vote for macrons, which so far does appear to be the consensus.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:56:14 -0600
Michael Stark <michael60634 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... the addition to a macron is not vastly different from what is
> shown on signs. And I would argue that the spelling with macrons would be
> the common name as it is most commonly used by government and businesses.

The official names will gradually spread to the signposts over time. Where the only difference is the macrons, there is no confusion, indeed the average tourist would probably not even notice.

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 9:30 PM Mike Kittridge <mgkittridge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I know in practice this may be an unnecessary waste of time to keep
> > changing tags back and forth

Yes, I think it would be an unnecessary waste of time. Especially if people are making changes that are just macron removal, merely for slavish rule following. Given all the argument, it would seem that the rules need some interpretation, which should come from "higher up" in the hierarchy if we can't resolve it.