[talk-ph] Using Non-copyright Images to Map

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Wed Dec 3 08:01:48 GMT 2008

2008/12/3 Jim Morgan <jim at datalude.com>

> OK, and as I've been dying to ask this question somewhere, I'm going to
> flood the mailing list with an impossible two posts in the space of an hour.
>
> I'm assuming the maps on Wikipedia are open source. I used to live in Hong
> Kong and here's an example from there which I'm particularly keen to use.
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Discovery_bay_map.svg
>
> The license says "Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify
> this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version
> 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
> Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of
> the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation
> License"."
>
> OK well assuming I can use this, I can't really figure out how to do it. I
> thought there might be a way to load it into JOSM as a background, and then
> trace it. However it seems I need a Mapping Server to do this. I toyed with
> the idea of setting up my own mapping server, but that seemed like trying to
> crack a nut with a sledgehammer, so I thought I'd ask the group. What's the
> best way to go about this? Assuming that the map is OK to use of course.

I'd check on the legal mailing list first to make sure it's ok...

The original source is
http://zh.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:Discovery_bay.svg&variant=zh-hk
 which lists GPL and CCbySA as applicable licenses... Attribution shouldn't
be a problem as long as you use the source tag for anything used, but, I'm
not sure how the sharealike aspect of the license applies, specifically with
regard to changing of the OSM license and subsequent compatibility with
it...

I'm also a little concerned as to the source of the original data used to
make the map... If it was traced off google for example, does that put OSM
at risk?