[talk-ph] Using Non-copyright Images to Map

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:28:07 GMT 2008

It's true that facts cannot be copyrighted (e.g., exact shapes of islands,
roads, etc.) but a map is a *representation* and an *abstraction* of the
real world. Copying from such a map means you're at the mercy of whatever
creative processes the original mapmaker used (e.g., omitting very small
islands, removing small tributaries of rivers, simplifying coastlines and
roads, etc.). So tracing over such a map makes it a derivative.

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com