[talk-ph] Google making moves ...

Ed Garcia eppgarcia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 04:15:52 GMT 2008

I tried the mapmaker only once.  Immediately, I got turned off by the strict
(which is a good thing actually) but meticulous (bordering on arrogant)
moderator.  that was it.  did not attempt again.

besides, I find the lack of gps trace support a dead end!  how do you even
start to put a road on a province (a blank area on the map with no existing
reference points) especially if their satellite imagery for that area is
covered with clouds!?

:>) ed

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM, maning sambale
<emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Jim Morgan <jim at datalude.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > You've probably discussed this already, but in case you haven't, it seems
> that Google is entering the fray.
> >
> >        http://maps.google.com/help/mapmaker/philippines/
> >
> > I find it quite strange that the data on maps.google.com for the
> Philippines is laughably inaccurate, but the data in mapmaker is actually
> pretty complete. Any ideas what they're up to?
>
> Googlemapmaker vs. Openstreetmap
>
> Coverage: Google wins
> Lots of satellite data
>
> Accuracy and Quality: Openstreetmap wins (at least from where I do
> mapping :
> http://www.google.com/mapmaker?hl=en&gw=30&ll=14.62806,121.093411&spn=0.018063,0.030277&z=16
> )
> You can only do so much with satellite data
>
> Fun: Openstreetmap wins (
>
> http://www.google.com/mapmaker?hl=en&gw=30&ll=14.584445,120.982717&spn=0.004517,0.007569&z=18
> )

> > Jim

> |---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
> | __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |
> | '-._"7' |"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden|
> |  /'.-c  |Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/     |
> |  |  /T  |http://esambale.wikispaces.com/ |
> | _)_/L I http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/ |

website administrator: