[talk-ph] Google making moves ...

sorabsuperstar at web.de sorabsuperstar at web.de
Thu Dec 4 06:14:06 GMT 2008

I did now know about that project of google yet.
...and I am pretty confused and annoyed about google...AGAIN!
I mean what shall this be good for? Certainly not for the greater good:
Poaching contributors from a creative commons project, in order to fill in their own shortcommings in maping developing countries ....and commercializing their contributions then for free.
Because this is exactly what they a shooting for. Only this! Check google mapmaker in well maped areas like Europe or North America. There is NOTHING! Its only in countries like Philippines and Vietnam.
They saw that open communities do a good job in maping the white patches on the world map, and now they are trying to "steal" it.
If they'd put this all under an open license lice CC or GPL, it would be fine.
But this way ...

IT'S KINDA EVIL, GOOGLE!

Isnt't there this annual award for something like "evil behaviour" and "information misconduct" of Internet companies. Does anyone remember the name. I'd like to nominate google mapmaker.

Cheers

Soeren