[talk-ph] Google making moves ...

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:08:08 GMT 2008

I'm not so sure highlighting the errors or omissions of Google Map Maker is
productive or would even convince people to switch to OSM. First of all,
Google Map Maker is user-generated so the counter-argument would be: GO FIX
IT YOURSELF. (That's a common argument used in Wikipedia.)

Second, we have plenty of errors in our data ourselves; and certainly much
more omissions especially when compared to urban areas outside Metro Manila
for which there are high-res satellite imagery in Google Maps. We're stuck
with Yahoo! which has only three hi-res areas in the Philippines that I know
of.

So let's not compare Google Map Maker data with OSM data. Let's just
concentrate in improving our own and convincing other people to contribute
without bringing down other projects.

As for Google Map Maker itself, I've blogged about it plenty of times and
often with respect to OSM. Let me pimp out a few of my posts for those who
have not yet read my blog. :-D

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com/posts/google_map_maker_osm
(First post about Google Map Maker in general)

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com/posts/google_dumps_navteq_opens_map_maker
(Post when Google Map Maker was opened up to the Philippines)

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com/posts/google_map_maker_philippine_launch
(My report when I attended the Google Map Maker launch in Makati Shangri-La)

And to further rile things up. There's actually a THIRD crowd-sourcing
project to create road maps of the Philippines and it was launched last
October (I think): Wikimapia BETA. Check out their map of the Makati CBD:
http://wikimapia.org/beta/#lat=14.5565648&lon=121.0221934&z=16&l=0&m=w&v=1

While Wikimapia's data scheme is structured like Google's, it's far less
"rich" than either Google Map Maker or OSM. But one advantage of Wikimapia
BETA is the fact that you get tool-tips as you hover your mouse over places.
This is definitely one thing you can't do with any non-editing OSM
application as far as I know.

I plan to blog about Wikimapia Beta sometime in the near future.

Regards,
Eugene