[talk-ph] A look at Wikimapia Beta (and advocating for OSM)

sorabsuperstar at web.de sorabsuperstar at web.de
Tue Dec 16 08:50:10 GMT 2008

Hi all

thanks for the links.
Well, Ed Parsons made it pretty clear in his blog that G-mapmaker is NOT an open project and apparently doesn't want to become one (for obvious reasons?).
He also said that it will most probably not be possible to share their aerial photos with OSM, like yahoo did.
However I really wonder why they keep calm on wikimapia's new beta-site!?!?

Annoying enough,that google's diverging efforts by "baiting" ppl away with their glossy highres aerial photos. (All those ppl ignorant about legal implications will prefer mapmaker over OSM)
But somehow even more annoying, that wikimapia-beta is diverging by "baiting" ppl with the same glossy footage, while even not allowed to do so. At the end of the day it even doesn't matter whether those two Russians who run wikimapia, Alexandre Koriakine and Evgeniy Saveliev, have good intentions, since their database is completely tainted by googles "co-copyright". So they are even diverging crowd sourcing potential into a black hole.

We should try to ask google again to open the google maps aerials for creating free licensed derivatives out of it. I mean if they don't see OSM and mapmaker as competitors of any kind, like Ed Parsons claims, then they should not have a problem with supporting OSM wherever they can. Right!?
We should also appeal to wikimapia to refrain from running their beta project based on google maps, unless google allows it. We should deal with wikimapia-beta either by convincing them that their approach for legal reasons is a road to nowhere, then inviting them to somehow couple up with OSM (they'd need to put the streetmap layers under CC then)
.... in case these guys just laugh about the legal concerns, we should... I guess the following will be controversial... we should - talaga - try to make google shut them down. This sounds pretty destructive,i know. But for the given reason wikimapia - in it's current setup - is destructive.
I mean albeit the fact that wikimapia's fate as an open project is totally dependent on the good will of  Alexandre Koriakine and Evgeniy Saveliev, it is also totally dependent on the mercy of google.
As I said: They are gathering the ppl to lead them into a black hole. We should not just watch it happen, for the sake of all these eager contributers THERE ON WIKIMAPIA, who eventually might kinda loose their hard work.

I would like to voice out these concerns (and maybe suggested solutions) at OSM global and legal talk lists. And I would like to speak for the Pinoy OSM community.

So I would like to discuss it here first.

Cheers
 Soeren