[talk-ph] A look at Wikimapia Beta (and advocating for OSM)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:30:46 GMT 2008

Some of my personal insights:

1. Google will only ask you to close down if there is threat to their
business.  Wikimapia doesn't seem to be:

http://wikimapia.org/terms_reference.html

"F. All User Submissions of all users and all WikiMapia data are
available through WikiMapia Website, WikiMapia API and other current
or future WikiMapia services for  non-commercial purposes only:
personal or educational." <------------------- that's the punchline.

2. But I'm quite sure Google is not complacent with violations in
their terms of use:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=492FFE74.6060405%40gmail.com&forum_name=viking-devel

3. Competition is good.  It's an evolutionary thing.  OSM might not
have the cash Google has, but in case something bad really happens
(highly unlikely I hope) at least I can download all Philippine data
and probably resurrect the project.  The biggest herbivorous highly
specialized dinosaurs were the first to be extinct.  Insects, virus,
bacteria survived. ;)

Digress: Why would you contribute in Mapmaker?  Google strength is
search, local search.  If I'm a businessman wouldn't it be great to
have my establishment appear in google map philippines?

I think a better advocacy for OSM Philippines is to show the cool
stuff we can do (map a whole lot of things, show them how you can use
the data for your cellphones), educate them about the license.  In
time we get the quality (not quantity) of contributors we need.