[talk-ph] Cebu tracks.

Maning Sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 07:54:06 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 15:50 +0800, Jim Morgan wrote:
> Well thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'd already finished my tracks the hard way by the time I read your post, so I'll have to use it next time. Anyway, the national highway is now in place northbound from Cebu, and the tiny 1km by 2km island of Malapascua now probably has the most detailed cartographic representation anywhere on the internet!
Excellent work!

> In doing this, I've noticed that the major impediment to mapping in OpenStreetMap is the level of detail of satellite images on Yahoo. I could have filled in a lot more information if I was allowed to use the higher res images on Google Earth for eg, but that isn't possible of course. I think this will hold back our efforts in the Philippines unless we can think of some way around this.
Without imagery,  I think the best way is, GO LOCAL!
1.  Map your own LOCALity and talk to others in mapping their LOCALity.
2.  Talk to your LOCAL government unit.  They might want to share data.
I bet CEBU has an extensive GIS data we can add to OSM
3.  Organize LOCAL mapping events

> I don't think Yahoo is in a position to be lobbied to provide more coverage at the moment, and what with Jerry Yang's departure, the future of the company is looking unsure. I think we need to find another source of satellite imagery which we can use, or at least reduce the dependency on Yahoo.
Ahh.  This new news to me.

Keep on mapping!