[talk-ph] Various

sorabsuperstar at web.de sorabsuperstar at web.de
Sat Nov 22 10:12:21 GMT 2008

> There's no discussion yet regarding barangays. I prefer leaving out
> the "Barangay" part of the name (unless it's numeric like "Barangay
> 30").

I was just about to send a second mail about that, as I realized that at certain zoom levels you can hardly see the map anymore because of all the Brgy. names, or hardly see certain Brgy names because of the other Brgy names ;).
I guess the Brgy concept is a special Pinoy one. This is why the renderes are not designed for such a high density of area names (especially with regard to font sizes)  . To ease this problem I highly endorse Seav's suggestion to omit redundant words "Barangay", "Brgy."(anyway for being an abbreviation), "Village", "Subdivision"etc...; unless it is really part of the name as in "Barangay 30".
We should even make this a general national convention for OSM

> As for the tagging, "place=village" and "place=suburb" doesn't
> seem right. I think we should put a moratorium first on tagging the
> barangays center nodes. But cities should have "place=city" and
> municipalities should have "place=town". I think this is already done
> (except for the newly-created cities/towns).

Ok, I stop tagging Brgys for now. But we should find a solution for this.

Guys, what do you suggest? Ask for an additional tag?
I think we may go either with "suburb" or with "village".
In any case, we should make it uniform.
We should also figure out how to deal with areas that are well known under akin of "would-be Barangay name",
like for example Salcedo Village in the Makati CBD. As far as I know there is no such thing as Brgy Salcedo. Salcedo is part of Bel Air or Urdaneta. However if you say "Bel Air" or "Urdaneta", nobody will think of the CBD.

> See Urdaneta Village and Barangay Urdaneta for example. (http://
> openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.55603&lon=121.02917&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF)
> Urdaneta Village has "landuse=residential" and "name=Urdaneta Village"
> tags but there's are boundary ways following the center line of Ayala
> Ave., Makati Ave., Buendia, and EDSA which delineate Barangay
> Urdaneta. The barangay includes The Peninsula Manila, and Roxas
> Triangle, which are outside the Village.

Ah, you do in fact seperate this. OK, very good. (but more work)
Btw.: Do you have a source to get precise boundaries of Brgys. I have a hard time figuring them out.
I think I better leave it to you to tag Brgy borders, and just do the landuse  :)

> I personally use the convention to leave out "Street" (except
> numerical ones like "3rd Street"). My opinion is that "Street" is the
> most common and becomes the default. All other names ("Road", "
> Highway", "Boulevard", "Avenue", etc.) have those qualifiers. But in
> any case, DO NOT abbreviate.

All right. Will follow this. (phew, i though i have to rename everything again ;))

Cheers
 Zoren