[talk-ph] Various

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 09:15:03 GMT 2008

Hi Zoren,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM, <sorabsuperstar at web.de> wrote:

> 3.) What the heck is happening on Osmarender? Global warming? (Why is there
> this nice little 200 sqkm giant-rectangle between Quezon City and Alabang
> redered as if it's all in the water, i.e. all blue?) At first i though it is
> a onetime-runtime error. But Osma keeps rendering these areas wrong. Does
> anyone know who to contact and report the bug to?

It's a rendering issue with Osmarender getting confused about coastlines.
This is already a known issue. Just ignore it for the meantime.

> 4.) Did you guys already discuss a general rule on Bgry. names? At first I
> tagged them "place=suburbs", however after realizing that the vast majority
> of Brgys in the Capital Region is already tagged as "village", i am now
> using/changing to "village" for Brgys. Any opinions on that?

There's no discussion yet regarding barangays. I prefer leaving out the
"Barangay" part of the name (unless it's numeric like "Barangay 30"). As for
the tagging, "place=village" and "place=suburb" doesn't seem right. I think
we should put a moratorium first on tagging the barangays center nodes. But
cities should have "place=city" and municipalities should have "place=town".
I think this is already done (except for the newly-created cities/towns).

> 5.) Residential landuse: I realized that IanLopez and Seav started to put
> landuse tags on the gated subdivisions in Makati. Good thing that, so I
> continue doing this for the non-gated residential areas in Makati. I saw
> that you devided the tags more or less by Brgys. So I am trying to do that
> too. However since it actually is still about landuse, I so far put cut-outs
> if there is a non residential area next to the Brgy border. E.g. here:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.56573&lon=121.04668&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTFT
> Brgy. Guadalupe Nuevo stretches down to Pasig River, but I cut out the area
> between Burgos and river because there is a market, thus "retail", and a
> trunk link. (Please check the edit mode. You can't see it on Osma due to the
> bug described under 3. above, and mapnik is not rendered yet. )
> Pro of this: the actual landuse will be redered. Con of this: It does not
> reflect actual Brgy. Borders, which would also be a nice-to-have. Which one
> do u consider more important?

I'm putting "landuse=residential" completely around the
subdivision/village/gated community. Note that these gated communities are
NOT equal to the barangay even if they share the same name. For the
barangays, I just mark the barangay boundaries with
"boundary=administrative", "admin_level=10" or (8?). (See a previous thread
in this mailing list.)

See Urdaneta Village and Barangay Urdaneta for example. (
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.55603&lon=121.02917&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF)
Urdaneta Village has "landuse=residential" and "name=Urdaneta Village" tags
but there's are boundary ways following the center line of Ayala Ave.,
Makati Ave., Buendia, and EDSA which delineate Barangay Urdaneta. The
barangay includes The Peninsula Manila, and Roxas Triangle, which are
outside the Village.

6.) Street names: So far I followed the practice to name Street names
> without the word "Street" (nor "Str.", nor "St.") as large part of the
> MM-map were already tagged that way, and I observed that it's also a common
> practise in the Philippines to ommit the word "Street" when somebody gives
> directions or the like.
> HOW-ever I just saw that there is a section about that in the OSM
> guidelines, saying that "Street" or "Road" (etc) should always appear in
> full (so not even "Str.", "St.", "Rd." <- eventually abbreviations shall be
> done by the renderer where applicable).
> What shall we do: Stick to our present practice or change it from now on
> (and eventually in 200 years correcting all the names we have so far)?

I personally use the convention to leave out "Street" (except numerical ones
like "3rd Street"). My opinion is that "Street" is the most common and
becomes the default. All other names ("Road", "Highway", "Boulevard",
"Avenue", etc.) have those qualifiers. But in any case, DO NOT abbreviate.

> 8.) Does anyone use OSM on KDE-Marble, and if yes, does anyone have an idea
> how to switch to Osmarender there rather than Mapnik tiles?

I've tried KDE Marble on Windows. It should be possible to use Osmarender in
the future but not right now. Just talk to the Marble guys to lodge a
feature request. :-)

Regards,
Eugene / seav
--