[talk-ph] bulk editing address info in POIs

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:55:38 BST 2009

Here's my two cents regarding this:

I don't favor using addr:city, addr:village, is_in to specify where a POI
is. Here are the cons:

1. Duplication of info with admin borders (and potential mismatch issues)
2. Increased data size with respect to tags (which makes planet dumps
larger)

On the other hand, here are the pros:

1. POIs are easier to filter by place than the alternative which is to do
bounding polygon calculation, which is more computationally intensive. This
calculation can be mitigated somewhat by doing pre-processing of the data
just before the data will be used (e.g., as an additional step to making
Garmin maps.)
2. Identifies where a POI is in the (hopefully temporary) lack of boundary
data.

Regardless, addr:street is essential since this is very hard to infer from
the data without it.

Anybody else have other thoughts?

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com