[talk-ph] Looking forward to OSM-PH in 2010

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 05:14:19 GMT 2009

Hello guys,

First of all, Merry Christmas to all of you!

Maning, Neil and I discussed several things after going out mapping parts of
Cubao. The topics mostly revolved around things that the Philippine OSM
community can focus on in 2010.

OSM LICENSE MOVE TO ODBL
are
quite oblivious to this. We think that the vast majority of the OSM-PH
contributors don't really particularly care under what license the OSM data
is
under, but for the few who do care, I will start a separate e-mail thread
for
this so that we can discuss the reasons for the move and the implications.

QUARTERLY MICRO MAPPING PARTIES
-------------------------------

We think that more frequent and regular Micro Mapping Parties in vicinity of
Metro Manila would be better in order to reach newbies and share mapping
techniques and create a more social/friendly interaction among mappers.

Instead of asking everyone on which date they are free, we will just set
fixed
dates and people can choose to attend the Parties when they are free. We are
also looking to get sponsorships for these events (most likely the local
Garmin
distributors).

Davao mappers and other areas can schedule their own regular events.

Other ideas for mapping events:
 - Mapping slums/urban poor areas - ala mapkibera.org
 - Use TODA (transport groups) to speed up "road naming" within their
   respective routes. We could trace streets from Yahoo! print it then give
it
   to jeepney/tricycle drivers to verify.
 - Organize mapping events among local college and universities

EXPANDING GPS2GO
----------------

We currently have 4 GPStogo <http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/GPStogo>
units
courtesy of the OSM Foundation. Aside from Ian Lopez' unit, the other units
are
currently underutilized. We probably should not ask for more units until we
can
find a way to maximize these GPS units. Any ideas?

OSM-PH LOCAL CHAPTER
--------------------

The formation of OSM-PH org/local chapter has stalled for quite some time.
We
need to finally formalize our group in order to get more visibility, legal
representation and other benefits for the community. We'll follow up with
Andre
of Enthropia regarding the incorporation and see if the community can
provide
help.

Here are some of the activities that having a legal entity can help with:
 - Expanding network and other connections (NAMRIA, LGUs, others)
 - Turn-over of openstreetmap.org.ph domain for maintenance and site
improvement
 - Turn-over administration of GPStogo units from Maning to the org
 - Push for State of the Map (the OSM international conference) 2012 (before
the
   world ends :-) in the Philippines or organize a local conference.

PHILIPPINE ROAD MAP
-------------------

I'm sure most of you guys know or have seen the 1:1,000,000 scale "Roadmap
of
the Philippines" map produced by National Bookstore. This map is quite
popular
but very outdated (copyright 1985). I think creating an OSM-branded
"updated"
version is quite doable as a 2010 project for the community. We only need to
have GPS-referenced traces of the national roads and we don't need too much
detail. (And at that scale, even bad GPS traces would still be usable!)

If we can produce such a map (at that scale), we can sell such maps and
generate
funds to help in other local OSM projects (mapping parties, conferences,
purchasing of GPS units, etc). Plus, such maps are excellent publicity
material
for OpenStreetMap.

ROAD-COMPLETE AREAS IN METRO MANILA
-----------------------------------

There have been discussions this year about declaring Makati "road
complete".
I highlighted some issues regarding this because of our too much reliance to
Yahoo! imagery. One obvious problem are satellite image stitching issues.
For
example look at this portion of Buendia near the RCBC Plaza:
<http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=14.561462&lon=121.016302&zoom=18> You can
easily see that there are 2 Buendia's there. The Makati data should be
evaluated
by an independent "person" before we declare it as road complete.

Any comments and reactions? Let's start separate e-mail threads to tackle
each
topic and also if you have other ideas. :-)

Eugene (osm:seav)