[talk-ph] highway=motorway roads

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 04:56:27 GMT 2009

Hi everyone,

Given that the transportation infrastructure in the Philippines is not very
advanced, there are only several roads that we can unambiguously say are
highway=motorway.

In the Philippine context, it seems that highway=motorway have the following
characteristics:

* Almost (?) always a divided (i.e., dual-carriageway) road.
* Limited entry and exit points
* Usually has toll fees
* It's almost inconceivable that adjacent properties will have driveways
leading into them

So the following are the only (?) highway=motorway roads:

1. North Luzon Expressway (NLEX)
2. South Luzon Expressway and Skyway (SLEX)
3. Southern Tagalog Arterial Road Tollway (STAR)
4. Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX)
5. Aguinaldo Boulevard (Coastal Road)
6. others (in Cebu City?)

Questions:

1. Would you consider the Subic-Tipo Expressway a highway=motorway? It's not
divided but it has only one entry and one exit and there are no
adjacent-property driveways (but there might be in the future).

2. Kennon Road is not highway=motorway, right? Despite the presence of toll
booths at both ends, there are plenty of settlements (camps) in between.

3. When do we mark the start and end of highway=motorways? Last and first
tollbooth? Last and first entry/exit? For example, the southernmost
tollbooth of SLEX is a few kilometers north of the Calamba exit. Where does
SLEX (excluding Skyway) end at the north: At the Villamor Toll Plaza or at
Magallanes? Where does NLEX start: at the Balintawak cloverleaf, the Quirino
highway interchange, or the toll plaza?

~ Eugene / seav
--
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com