[talk-ph] Proposed Philippine Postal Code System

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 02:05:54 GMT 2009

Hi Ronny,

I'd like to mention some caveats and prior art:

1. The National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) has a Philippine
Standard Geographic Code (PSGC), which assigns a numeric code to every
region, province, city/municipality, and barangay. See
http://www.nscb.gov.ph/activestats/psgc/

For example, here are some codes:
Central Luzon: 030000000
Pampanga:      035400000
Sasmuan:       035422000
Brgy. Malusac: 035422005

The region is given 2 numbers, provinces 2 numbers, cities/municipalities 2
numbers, and barangay 3 numbers.

2.  The Statoids website lists all the known codes for the Philippines down
to the city/municipal level: PSGC, FIPS, ISO, and his own HASC.

Philippine provinces: http://www.statoids.com/uph.html
Philippine cities/municipalities: http://www.statoids.com/yph.html

The HASC in particular is very, very similar to your own proposed postcodes.

3. The biggest caveat is with regards to cities that are independent of
their provinces whether they are Highly Urbanized Cities (HUC) (which are
independent by virtue of the Local Government Code) or Independent Component
Cities (which are independent by virtue of their city charters). All cities
(except for those in Metro Manila) have an "associated" province so you may
group those cities under the province which they are associated with. The
biggest exception is Zamboanga City. Zamboanga City is an HUC "associated"
with the province of Zamboanga del Sur but this is protested heavily by the
independent-loving Zamboanguenos in the city. (We found this out the hard
way in Wikipedia.)

For more information please check out the "Independent cities" section of
the Wikipedia article on Philippine cities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_of_the_Philippines#Independent_cities

Anyway, I'm not so sure defining a community-driven postcode system is
productive at this stage. Many people don't even know their official
postcode! Introducing another system would just confuse people, and without
the backing of the Philippine Government, would suffer from lack of
exposure.

I prefer tackling the problem of addresses first since addresses is what
most Filipinos really know at this point in time.

Regards,
Eugene

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com