[talk-ph] Proposed Philippine Postal Code System

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:37:03 GMT 2009

As I see it, two areas of concern are emerging:
1.  There is a need for addressing data to be added to OSM.  And
although the primary concern for much of the Philippines is to collect
road data, I think we can in some areas (Metro Manila) encourage
contributors to start adding address information.  If we can create a
simple interface for non-osmers to contribute addresses that would be
an excellent opportunity to expand the base of OSM-PH contributions.

2.  Addressing conventions in the Philippines is messy.  We need to
create a system in which addressing can be standardized and easier to
understand (both for humans and computer algorithms).  There are
several attempts made by various agencies (as what Eugene have
outlined).  We are also burdened by multiple standards (NSCB, ISO,
FIPS).  The problem is, some of these "standards" doesn't seem to fit
the purpose of geolocating specific address information.   I don't see
any problem for OSM-PH to create its own coding system as long as we
can establish "compatibility" to the other standards.  Maybe we can
can devise a system that can capitalize on the strengths of these
standards but flexible enough to accommodate various addressing
variations.

I think we can go ahead and start parallel implementation of both
concerns if others are willing to take on the challenge ;)  I am
hopeful we as a community can overcome this.

just my insights.

PS.  Do any of you know of a polygon data showing Philippine postcode areas?