[talk-ph] road conversion from primary to trunk

Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. raw at develo.ltd.uk
Mon Apr 12 08:04:20 BST 2010

I assume routing software will prefer a trunk road over a primary road?

The way I've done it, primary roads are the main thoroughfare through an
area - the road most locals would choose when going *through*. I've
upgraded a few roads to primary due to their importance. You could
possible ask the question "If I'm in this town, and I'm to the town
after the neighbouring town, which road would I choose?" The answer is
most likely a primary road. But, I would normally not touch roads I am
not local to and thus *know* the importance of. However the only
exception was a map maning send to the list conttaining the main roads
of Luzon, which I upgraded a couple of roads based on because it made
complete sense.

Now, truck roads I feel are a bit sacred. My ffeling is that these are
roads that cross provinces. For example McArthur highway is the only
truck road in Pampanga.
I guess a trunk road will function like a motorway if one was not
present, but cannot be upgraded to one because of the standard.
In cities, my gut feeling is that trunk roads are the ones most people
would choose to get in or out of the city, or through it - the ones you
will guise people without knowleedge to take. For example, ,you'd
probably guide them to go on EDSA when going from the south to the
north, not a combination of minor roads that may save theem 10 minutes
of driving if you know what roads to take.
Disclosure: I may be wrong, I don't know my way around metro Manila. *I*
go on EDSA so that I won't get lost! :)

Take a look at central London: http://osm.org/go/euu4KZ5
There are no trunk roads in the center itself, except one - park lane -
which is a major thoroughfare, and kind of splits the western part of
central London from the main center. Park Lane is also the only way to
go through central London north to south at daytime without paying ?8
congestion charge, so you can imagine it being pretty well utilized :)
There's a ring road surrounding the center, which consist of trunk
roads. This helps people looking at the map to choose the right route to
take, as there are so many primary roads. They tend to be wider than
primary roads, but some portions of them are just the saem size as
primary - the upgrade is merely to help people choose the right route.

So my 2 centavos worth is: If it helps people choose the best (most
used) route through an area with lots of primary roads, then an upgrade
to trunk seems sensible. I also think trunk roads should be connected to
other trunk roads, thus act to help people not known to the area which
route to take to get outta there! :)

Ronny.