[talk-ph] General strategy to using bing imagery in areas with no active OSMer (was Re: Microsoft Bing Maps Imagerty [sic] Terms of Use)

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 08:09:35 GMT 2010

Ed,
It took me nearly a week of (re)downloading josm-latest.jar before I
saw in JOSM's
Preferences-SlippyMap>Tile Sources>Bing Aerial Maps

btw, i'm using it on windows. The maning's simple instruction of
simply downloading josm-latest.jar did not work for me earlier. I had
uninstalled the josm windows installer, & installed the plain
josm-latest.jar... didn't work.

In one of the desperate moves, i even deleted the Application Data on
C:\Documents and Settings\rally\Application Data\JOSM
didn't work at first.

but then, after downloading the latest version again, I finally saw
Bing on JOSM version 3695, and I'm still clueless what happened and
how I did it. :-)

I still have to figure out how to zoom in way down to a closer look of
street level in josm. Bing imagery tend to disappear below 80meter
zoom level. (i don't mind seeing pixelized image as long as I can see
the silhouette of street)

rally