[talk-ph] Bing and Yahoo's imagery of Metro Manila

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 06:28:26 GMT 2010

Hi guys,

As far as I can tell (and I've noticed this back in 2007[1]), Bing and
Yahoo use the almost same imagery[2] for Metro Manila sourced from
GeoEye. As far as I can tell, the imagery has very little shift when
compared to GPS traces, although there are some distortions especially
in the Makati CBD and along parts of Roxas Blvd. While Bing lets you
zoom up to level 19 in their other imagery, sadly, they have tiles up
to level 17 for the Metro Manila imagery, same as with Yahoo. So there
is no particular advantage when using Bing over Yahoo in Metro Manila
and surrounding areas.

However, there are some differences between the imagery in Yahoo and
Bing. One significant difference I found is in the SM City Sucat area.
In some areas, Bing has newer imagery (showing a completed C-5
extension in Las Pinas[3]), but in an area to the north, Yahoo has
newer imagery, showing a completed SM warehouse complex[4] where Bing
only has bare land. Quite weird!

So, please check between Yahoo and Bing and try to determine which has
the newer imagery when tracing in Metro Manila. :-)

[1] http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com/posts/barasoain_from_space
[2] outline: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28738861
[3] http://www.vistapinas.com/article/c-5-road-south-extension-las-pinas-segment
[4] http://osm.org/go/4zhB2k1j0-