[talk-ph] Fwd: Bacolod

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:33:09 GMT 2010

Here's the transcript of our conversation from first to last (while I
was sending him messages he changed his user name fro mgarrucho -
jrizal - rgarchitorena - jjocson -  	 goodbyebacolod:-) )

==============
To      jjocson
Subject         regarding your edits in Bacolod
Date    Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:30:53 +0000

jrizal,

Hi! I've seen your edits in Bacaolod and they are really great. I am
happy to see that Openstreetmap Philippine data is expanding to the
Negros Island. However, I noticed that your contributions have a
striking similarity to GoogleMaps' data. See this and use the slider
on the top-right:
http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=13&lat=10.65976&lon=122.97031&layers=B00000TFFFFF

As far as I know the only gps tracks in Bacolod are the ones I
uploaded months ago.

Apologies if this may seem "too accusing" but please explain the
sources of your contributions.

Thanks!

maning

=====================

You mean your the only one who has a gps in bacolod???? Anyways they
are maps and for sure they would look similar right. I got it from
NASA.

jrizal

=============

To      jjocson
Subject         Re: regarding your edits in Bacolod
Date    Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:04:47 +0000

On Fri Feb 26 07:47:03 UTC 2010 rgarchitorena wrote:

> You mean your the only one who has a gps in bacolod????
No, what I mean here are the only gps traces uploaded in OSM I know
are some of the traces I added (donated by other contributors).

>Anyways they are maps and for sure they would look similar right. I got it from NASA.

Can you explain further what you mean by NASA? I use JOSM as an editor
as well, it would be good if you can share what specific WMS or NASA
imagery you used so that others can use it and improve the data.

Just in case you didn't know, we are not allowed to copy data from
copyrighted materials (an example is GoogleMaps). Most of NASA's
imagery are public domain, so if you are using NASA's data that is OK.
But we need to explicitly provide citation/source of information.

Thanks again!

==========
>From     jjocson
Subject         Re: regarding your edits in Bacolod
Date    Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:51:15 +0000

Sorry but its personal if you want I can sell you the program....
:-)or perhaps you can give me your details so I can visit you and give
you some lessons.

=======

If the data source is "personal" = not available to the public = not
suitable for OSM.

Unless the data provider which you say is "NASA" gave explicit
permission to use the images for OSM, I don't think it is right to use
it in OSM.

No offense my friend, but we want the OSM data to be clean as much as
possible of copyright issues. If you want Bacolod to be in the OSm
map. We can help you do it by gathering GPS tracks. We can lend you a
GPS if you don't own one.

Keep on mapping.

========

>From     jjocson
Subject         Re: regarding your edits in Bacolod
Date    Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:04:34 +0000

What a conclusion! Why sould I help you with what I'm doing if you got
an attitude. And who the F are you anyway? THE OSM OWNER????

On Fri Feb 26 08:56:29 UTC 2010 maning wrote:

========

And then I sent another reply which I wasn't able to sent because he changed
his username while I was sending it to rgarchitorena.

==========
To      jjocson
Subject         changing usernames in a day
Date    Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:34:53 +0000

You are a funny guy. You changed you usernames from mgarrucho to
jrizal to rgarchitorena to jjocson.

I simply asked you to explain your source (which is very similar to
Google's data). I simply followed OSM's guidelines here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ#I_think_someone.27s_been_entering_copyrighted_data_-_how_do_we_deal_with_that.3F

For such cases. I have no resort but to report your edits to the OSM
Foundation Board Members.

============

>From     jjocson
Subject         Re: changing usernames in a day
Date    Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:44:17 +0000

I dont care mate! do what you have to do.

==============

And then he replied again  with a new username

>From  	 goodbyebacolod:-)
Subject 	Bacolod
Date 	Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:55:55 +0000

I think we got off with the wrong foot here. Yes your right its
similar to google and in the wsm settings it says NASA and localhost
8998. Ive been using this for 3 to 4 days and think its fine since its
in the editor. If thats something against ur organization then fine Im
happy to stop it and do as your org says.

============

My last answer.

No problem mate!

We want this map free of copyrighted material as much as possible.
Apologies if you're pissed-off with my inquiry.  I am requesting for a
revert of your edits in Bacolod so please don't touch them for the
moment.

If you own a GPS you can continue editing in any plave you like using
your tracks and local knowledge as reference.

I'll look into the wms you mentioned.

I propose we report this to the OSMF board and request a revert of all
his edits in Bacolod, including mine because I corrected several
overlapping ways.  Please don't manually remove them for now.  A full
revert process can do this by the OSM sysads.

Finally, a note to those who keeps on changing usernames in order to
"hide" your OSM editing history.  It doesn't work.  OSM has an
internal numeric userid of your account.  It doesn't change even if
you changed your username.

For reference, the Bacolod editor's uid="235287"