[talk-ph] changes of road types

riber101-osm at yahoo.com riber101-osm at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 22 14:50:12 GMT 2010

I happy this discussion comes up and I would like to chime in on this discussion.

Reviewing the map reveals that many places roads seems to have too high of a classification, misleading people to use roads that are not meant for a lot of traffic.

>From an overall perspective the classification of roads should be used to guide people which roads to prefer.

Looking at the length of road of the different types this seem to underline the problem.

Motorway, Trunk, Primary, secondary and tertiary should only be a tiny fraction of all the roads.
The bulk of the roads should be of lesser importance, such as unclassified and residential.

Assuming that all motorway, trunk, primary, secondary and tertiary roads have been mapped long ago, newbies should only be concerned with the lower classes of roads.

I suggest the out come of this discussion will be a series of photos of typical roads and how to tag them.

Potlatch 2.0 is in the works and will simplify tagging of roads significantly. My hope is that we can update the newbie instructions so that everybody would feel comfortable tagging and naming roads.

I have started a document already for this purpose so this discussion is very welcome :-)

http://idisk.mac.com/michael.riber//Public/osmph/Road Types 0.0.doc