[talk-ph] Bacolod is still a big problem

Ray rayosm1234 at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 11:58:47 BST 2010

Hi,

this topic is discussed every now and then. Facts are free, but you
can't use the help of copyright protected material. If you only copy one
house/street/whatever maybe that doesn't matter. But what if all of us
are doing this? You end up with a 100% copy of the map and than even you
will agree, that this is a no go.
So where to drew the line? It's impossible and that's why the community
agrees not to use copyright protected maps even for a poi to copy.

What you can to with this maps is comparing for areas which need
attention, go there and do your mappings. Or use openstreetbugs to
report them, so others can pick up.

OSM license allows anyone to use our data for any purpose and without
the need to give anything back, even sell it and make money out of
your/our work. They only have to mention the license. That's the open
part in OSM. But you can't expect to do everyone like this and we
respect this.

Take a look at the OSM history, e.g.
http://www.geofabrik.de/en/gallery/history/index.html It's amazing what
has been done only with free sources or donated date in this short
periode of time. We should be proud of it and keep the OSM free from
data of copyright protected sources.

If there are white spaces, give it some time and somebody will do traces
and close them. We need more mappers.

Also note, that google and others can't give away what they don't have.
The images on goolge maps/earth are bought from other companys which own
the copyright - you can see the company's name on the map. Maybe this
will change if they are using the images from their own satellite. AFAIK
they wanted to wait with updating gmaps when they have images from the
whole world. IMHO they should have them already - we'll see.

There is even an difference in the yahoo images free to copy and the
ones on the yahoo webpage which are not free to copy. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Aerial_Imagery

On the other hand pls. be aware that not everybody want's to upload this
gps tracks due to privacy concerns or some body could find out about
one's nice and quiet camping place. Questions about anonymizing gps data
arise on the user mailing list form time to time. But in this case ppl.
should respond different to questions about the source.

Greetings
Ray