[talk-ph] Bacolod is still a big problem

Totor totor_osm at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 13:11:53 BST 2010

Hi Craig,

I saw this question several times here and there and can not agree completely.

I think that Facts/Locations can not be copyrighted indeed, but maps can.

It takes quite a lot of work to represent the locations of items accurately on maps.
It's much easier to copy from an existing map. (Why would some OSM mappers be tempted if this was not the case?) So it seems reasonable to me to protect  this work by a copyright.
When you copy  from a map, even small portions,  you don't copy facts, but a more or less faithful representation someone else made.

If you copy Google maps, you even copying "someone's imagination" !
Here Google has several non existing roads on the map :
http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=17&lat=10.3468&lon=123.91864&layers=B00000TFFFFF
Even comparing just the location should not be done, since the map seems offset...

The above is also true for the satellite images (although maybe less obviously). Several years ago, I saw a duplicate parallel road on the border of stitched images (Each of them ending in a blurry house on opposite sides at some distance). I was unable to find it now, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some artifacts if you look for them.

Cheers,

Totor