[talk-ph] tagging rotund/roundabout

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 04:33:34 GMT 2011

Yes, Mabuhay/Welcome Rotonda is no longer a rotunda. Also, Pasay Rotonda has
long been gone but the name remains. In the 70s I think there used to be a
rotunda at EDSA's intersection with Timog and East Avenue as well as EDSA
with Quezon Avenue (I saw old aerial images at the Geodetic Engineering
Dept. at UP Diliman).

As for existing rotundas, Wikipedia distinguishes between two types of
rotundas, roundabouts[1] (where the traffic inside has the right-of-way)
versus traffic circles/rotaries[2] (where the entering traffic has the
right-of-way). Here in the Philippines, drivers don't really know about
right-of-ways so for our purposes they should be all the same and should be
tagged with junction=roundabout. An example of a true roundabout is Burgos
Circle in Bonifacio Global City[3].

Here's a problem. For me, a *true* rotunda is a circular road where there
can be no vehicular traffic *inside* the circle (footways are OK). Thus,
Marikina's Liwasang Kalayaan[4] is not a true rotunda and should not be
tagged with junction=roundabout. Otherwise, a routing engine will become
confused and you cannot say "enter the roundabout and get out at the 6th
exit" since there would be streets going *into* the circle.

Thus, I think QC's Elliptical Road, and Mandaluyong's Maysilo are *not*
roundabouts.

What do you guys think?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_circle