[talk-ph] maps for mountaineers/ outdoor lovers

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:06:13 GMT 2011

Well, if you want to get your hands dirty, you can actually DIY! The
Garmin maps are compiled using mkgmap and you just need the raw OSM
data (Geofabrik provides Philippine data extracts), the contour data
(maybe Maning can share his data, but they were made using Groundtruth
from NASA's SRTM data), and mkgmap itself (plus some learning time).

But, we could additionally adopt your suggestion and consider adding
another Garmin map download which has the consolidated contours for
selected mountaineering peaks, and make the hiking/trekking trails
more prominent. A mountaineer's map anyone?

Hmmm, thinking about it, I actually like the idea! Instead of
targeting only the car owners with the OSM Garmin map, we could also
"expand the market" and target also the mountaineering clubs. A Garmin
map that still contains roads (so the mountaineers can drive to the
base camps and jump-off points) plus prominent hiking trails and
contours would be a perfect addition. And if this map becomes popular,
then we have another potential source of contributors who can map the
rural and mountainous areas. :-D

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com