[talk-ph] testing the address and street search in osmphgps garmin map

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 02:20:37 GMT 2011

Hi Maning,

> Not yet, you can ignore the housenumber or input any number in the
> textbox to go to the street search.

OK. it is capable to search the house number, if there is a data.

Is it separate entry for the number?

> Your project looks good, how do you plan to integrate this dbase into
> osm?  AFAIK, there is an agreed code of conduct in OSM not to upload
> any data in bulk by a single bot/user.

I am planning to have a separate postgresql server, not use the OSM at
the moment. I need help on this server. If I can not find a free
server, I think I need to find a internet service provider with 24//7
postgresql server.

The postgresql server just need one database and one table i.e. Street

Street (
id
Latitute
Longitute
StreetNo
StreetName
Place? <--------- for city and towns but I think no really
Users?* <----- default - Juan dela Cruz  :-), Anonymous
)

* Good for statistics for contributors.

The iphone app users will just input the StreetNo and StreetName. That it.

> If this is the case you need
> to provide a mechanism wherein your app users has their own OSM
> account.  Good luck!

I think we don't want the users to get OSM accounts,less work for them
the better. Just the just street number and street names are good
enough.

However, we will find a mechanism how to integrate this latter on.

Any other suggestions how can make this project going.

I will register as Apple developer and have this as my first app :-).

Thanks.

Regards, Noli

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Maning,
>>
>> Is POI for streetnames would be able to find / distinguish street
>> number and street name?
>>
>> eg. 1 EDSA from 999 EDSA.
>>
>> The reason I am asking this, I am planning to develop iPhone app that
>> acquires the location (lat/long) auto and StreetName (i.e. Street
>> number + Street number) (-- i.e. only input by the users) and send to
>> Postgresql server.
>>
>> It would be a FREE apps in Apple App Store.
>>
>> Objective
>> 1. Geocode Philippine Streets for OSMPHGP and others
>> 2.  Acquire Street Names for OSM-Ph.
>>
>> Android? Later on :-)
>>
>> Tools.
>> 1. Route-Me for iOS (FOSS library)
>> 2. PostgreSQL
>>
>> Anybody interested and like to help?
>>
>> Noli
>>

>> On 2/14/11, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently testing the street and address indexing for the garmin
>>> map.  This is a long time wanted feature for our garmin maps.
>>>
>>> On the current map, newer models like nuvis cannot use the "Where to"
>>> venture by compiling the map via Mapsource.  As a workaround, we
>>> converted the street as a POI in order to search for the streetnames.
>>>
>>> Just today, I compiled a new map and its works! [1].  There are a
>>> couple of bugs though, but basically, you can now use the  "Where to"
>>> We need more tests before public distribution.  If you want to test
>>> please download the maps here:
>>>
>>> for mapsource -
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/607635/osm-ph_gps_maps/index_ver/osmph_winmapsource_index.exe
>>> for mac roadtrip or basecamp -