[talk-ph] railway being shadowed by trunk highway on mapnik

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 03:14:53 GMT 2011

Hi all,

The layer=* tag is used to indicate which objects are relatively above
or below each other and *not* to indicate which objects should be
rendered/drawn above or below each other. So if there are two objects
(e.g. a road and a railway) that are on the same level especially if
they cross each other on the same level (e.g., railway crossing), then
they should have the same number on the layer tag (which is by default
zero).

Using the layer tag to fix rendering issues is "tagging (wrongly) for
the renderer" and is frowned upon
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer>. The
correct way would be to fix the renderer.

Eugene

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com