[talk-ph] bridges and roads oftentimes have different names

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:47:04 GMT 2011

I tag bridge names differently. The way primarily represents a road,
that just happens to pass over a bridge. So the name=* tag should
contain the name of the road. Currently, the only way we can tell that
multiple end-to-end ways belong to the same road (without using
relations) is if they have the same name=* tag. If you put the bridge
name on the name=* tag then you have discrete roads having the same
names but are not connected.

So for the bridge name itself, I put it in a separate tag, bridge:name=*.

For an example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/90114185

Of course, this doesn't currently render and this is not a "standard"
tag. Yet. But the idea has already been proposed (with the colon
format in the comments):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bridge_Name

This tagging of mine doesn't apply for when a bridge connects two
different roads (such as Ayala Bridge in Manila which connects Ayala
Boulevard and P. Casal Street). In such cases, maning's suggestion
applies.

BTW, please also tag the weight limit of bridges as maxweight=X where
X is the limit in metric tonnes. See:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxweight

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com