[talk-ph] Cherry Mobile Cosmo

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Thu Jul 14 07:36:34 BST 2011

Ed Garcia wrote, On Wednesday, 06 July, 2011 01:47 PM:
> Yes, for track logs and waypoint marking, I like MyTracks too.

Went on another run last Sunday, so I tried out My Tracks. Worked pretty well, and it was simple, but it seems to require a data connection to download the maps, which I failed to do before the run.

On previous phones (and on this Android one) I've used TrekBuddy. This has the massive advantage of being able to use pre-downloaded maps. I have all of Metro Manila on it upto zoom 16, and whenever I go somewhere new, I download the map using Mobile Atlas Creator.

The downside of TrekBuddy is that its not so good for adding waypoints, but its primarily intended as a navigation app.

Back to the phone ... the GPS fix on it doesn't seem to be as accurate as my NAVman B10 unit, and sometimes it puts me 10 or 20 meters away from where I know I am. So its probably of limited use as an OSM device, but its good enough for navigation, and the Geotagged photos are cool.

Jim

--

   datalude: information security
   e: jim at datalude.com
   Philippines: +63 2 403 1311 / mob: +63 917 849 3939
   Hong Kong: +852 6840 6693
   w: http://www.datalude.com/