[talk-ph] Cherry Mobile Cosmo

Ed Garcia eppgarcia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 06:47:50 BST 2011

Hi Jim,

Yes, for track logs and waypoint marking, I like MyTracks too.  It is easy
to export tracks and waypoints as GPX.  Easy as well to send tracks out to
the SD card (save) or email (share) or bluetooth (upload to PC).  GPS
Essentials is okay too but currently it saves tracks nicely only as KML
file, it has no GPX format.  And the KML file does not convert well to GPX
even by using GPSBabel.  The author said he will have these on the next
version.

I have been evaluating a number of GPS apps as well so I can recommend them
to the destination contributors at waypoints.ph.  Turns out that a good
criteria for selecting apps is its having "quick on the draw" menu
navigation.  With some apps, it is kinda difficult to mark waypoints while
driving ... too many menu sequence before you can mark the waypoint.   It
becomes rather cumbersome especially with the fact that you have to switch
between apps oftentimes as some apps can have good routing capabilities
(Navdroyd) but it does not record tracks nor mark waypoints.  MyTracks has
very good tracking and marking but does not have routing.  And both Navdroyd
and MyTrack do not display GPS statistics like satellites or EPE.  You
really have to switch from app to app and the simpler the menu navigation
from app to app, the better.

For simple marking of waypoints, I just use the default camera of the
android (with geotagging activated).  When I want to mark a waypoint, I just
switch to camera app then wait for a satellite lock then shoot a picture.
This way, I get a photo of the waypoint and its GPS coordinates are written
on the EXIF data of the JPEG.

hope this helps
ed

website administrator: